Every year, the month of April helps raise awareness about organ donation to encourage individuals to register as organ donors.
On April 1st, 2022 the Santiagos attended a special event at Baylor Scott & White in Dallas as the hospital kicked off National Donate Life Month by honoring Jordan Santiago. The family raised a ‘Donate Life’ flag hoping others would do as Santi did.
The day before this event, the Santiago family had the opportunity to meet the recipient of Jordan`s heart and heard his heartbeat once again. “That heartbeat will forever be a song in my ear.” – Andrew Santiago
At Baylor Scott & White, Jordan’s family also got a chance to meet and embrace the recipient of a compatible double-lung transplant coming from Jordan. They also met some of the hospital staff who took care of Jordan.
“The way we describe Jordan is someone who lived life and gave life.”Andrew Santiago
Jordan was a registered organ donor, and he now lives on through others:
- His right kidney and pancreas were transplanted into a female in her twenties.
- His left kidney was transplanted into a female youth.
- His liver was transplanted into a male in his fifties.
- His heart was transplanted into a male in his sixties.
- His lungs were transplanted into a female in her fifties.
- His bone tissue, dermis, and vascular tissue enhanced and improved the lives of up to 75 others.